In 1939, the Sisters of Charity in Halifax came from the Academy of the Assumption in Wellesley Hills to supervise Christian Doctrine classes at Saint Joseph’s Parish. In 1954, they started teaching the Saint Joseph Elementary School classes with Kindergarten and grades 1-3. They began the first double kindergarten class in 1958 to accommodate the growing demands for admission to the parish school. In 1994, two full-day kindergartens were established in the Convent building. In 1995, a new middle school building was constructed for grades 6,7 and 8 which is now known as the Monsignor James J. Haddad Middle School.
During the summer of 2001, the convent was further renovated to accommodate all four kindergarten classes in a state of the art early childhood facility. In addition, the Elementary School upgraded its facility to include a state-of-the-art Library/Media Center, Computer Lab and Art Room. Finally, in April of 2002, the doors to the newly constructed parish center (housing a regulation-size gymnasium, two science labs, a dining hall and a technology lab) were open to be primarily used by the students and teachers in the Middle School. In the fall of 2013, the first pre-Kindergarten class was welcomed to St. Joseph Elementary School. We also began an After School Program in the fall of 2013 and in 2014 added another pre-K class. In 2017, the school underwent a major renovation. The two-phase project began with a renovation of the lower level of the school, including the cafeteria, library, music/drama space and STREAM (science • technology • religion • engineering • arts • math) classroom. Phase 2, a new playground for Grade 1-5 students , will be completed in September 2018.
Today, Saint Joseph Elementary School educates approximately 360 students in 20 classes. The class size in Kindergarten and first grade averages 15-18 students and 20 in grades 2-5. More than 52 qualified and certified teachers instruct the students in the basic curriculum subjects as well as STREAM, Art, Music, Spanish, Gym, Library, and Latin and Greek.
That’s how Saint Joseph’s Parish and Schools came to be. We all know, of course, that the buildings alone do not make a community. We are forever indebted to the Sisters of Charity for their boundless energy and commitment to instruct thousands of children through the years in the faith and academic excellence. We believe that that same sense of passion inspires us to further the mission of our schools by teaching to the mind, heart, and soul of each and every child.