Chromebook Care and Use Guide
The procedures, guidelines, and information within this document apply to all Chromebooks used at Saint Joseph School. Teachers may set additional requirements for use within their classrooms.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR CHROMEBOOK
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook they have been issued by the school. Laptops that are broken or fail to work properly should be taken to the designated repair area in the school. Chromebooks should never be taken to an outside computer service for any type of repairs or maintenance.
- No food or beverages should be near your Chromebook.
- Cords, cables, and removable devices should be inserted carefully into the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks should not be exposed to extreme temperatures (hot or cold).
- Students should never carry their Chromebooks while the screen is open, unless directed to do so.
- Chromebooks should never be left in an unsupervised area.
The Chromebook screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment and are sensitive to excessive pressure.
- Do not lean on the top of the laptop when it is closed.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens or pencils, flash drive, etc.).
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth or anti-static cloth. Do not use commercial glass cleaners.
MANAGING YOUR FILES & SAVING YOUR WORK
- Student files should be stored in Google Drive or other cloud-based storage.
- SJS is not responsible for loss of student work.
- In order to comply with copyright laws, students agree not to copy pages from the Internet into their own document. On occasion, with the permission of the teacher, a picture or chart may be borrowed.
APPLICATIONS ON CHROMEBOOKS
- The applications originally installed by Saint Joseph School should remain on the laptop in usable condition and be easily accessible at all times.
- If technological difficulties occur or illegal software is discovered, the hard drive will then be reformatted.
- The school does not accept responsibility for the loss of any data or software deleted due to a re-format or re-image.
OPERATING SYSTEM AND SECURITY
- Students may not use or install any operating system on their Chromebooks other than the current version of Chrome OS that is supported and managed by the school.
- Always be on the alert for suspicious emails that contain links and websites that ask for personal information such as name, date of birth or passwords.
- Chromebooks will be labeled in the manner specified by SJS.
- Students will not remove the Chromebook serial number and name/ID number label. If stickers have or appeared to be falling off, student should take laptop and sticker to the designated repair area in the school.
CHROMEBOOKS IN UNSUPERVISED AREAS
- Under no circumstances should laptops be left in unsupervised areas. Any computer left unsupervised is in danger of being stolen.
INTENTIONAL OR NEGLIGENT DAMAGE
Students could be held partially or fully responsible for damages/loss to their Chromebooks. Examples include:
- Liquid/beverage spills on the laptop.
- Deliberate damage, neglect or abuse caused by you or others you allow to use your Chromebook. This includes intentionally marking, defacing and/or abusing the laptop. Also, damage caused by tampering with hardware components to alter school configurations.
- Leaving the Chromebook unattended or failing to secure it per school recommendations.
- Leaving the Chromebook in an unlocked car, locker, or on the bus.
- Losing or breaking the charger.
- Mysterious disappearance of the laptop - meaning the laptop user has no knowledge as to the place, time, or manner of the loss.
CHROMEBOOK TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Procedure to open a service request Saint Joseph School:
- If a student experiences an issue with their Chromebook while in class, they will notify the teacher of the issue.
- If there is not an immediate resolution, and the unit is inoperable, the student will be issued a loaner Chromebook, upon availability, to use during the school day until the problem with their Chromebook has been resolved.
- Students will be notified when their issue has been resolved. Service and repairs will be documented and reviewed to ensure the proper use and/or maintenance of the Chromebook. Excessive requests for service/repair are subject to review by the school administration.
- Each device is protected by the School’s firewall while on the School’s network.
- For home use, a cloud-content filtering and classroom management system has been installed for each student email account. Such a system is imperfect however, parental supervision is recommended.
ACCESS TO GOOGLE WORKSPACE
- Students should keep passwords safe and not share login information with other students.
- Collaborative and shared work should be for school purposes only.
Inappropriate use of the Internet or any of the privileges provided by the usage of school Chromeboooks, could result in the loss of student computer privileges until the matter is resolved by the appropriate school personnel.